On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:11 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am trying to get wake-on-lan working for my installation.

I tried '$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = "/usr/share/wol.sh $host";' and this didn't
work for me. Has anyone else had success with this?

I found that Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} didn't suffice as the system seemed to ping the host prior to running Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}. I worked around that by writing a short kludge of a script and setting it as the system ping:

$Conf{PingPath} = '/usr/local/backuppc/data/etc/wakehost';

which looks like:

----
#!/bin/sh
PING=/sbin/ping
ARG1=$1
ARG2=$2
WAKEHOST=$3
WAKEONLAN="/usr/local/backuppc/data/etc/wakeonlan-0.41/wakeonlan"

$PING $ARG1 $ARG2 $WAKEHOST || ($WAKEONLAN -f ~backuppc/pc/$WAKEHOST/ mac_address && s
leep 10 && $PING $ARG1 $ARG2 $WAKEHOST) || exit 1
----

The mac address to send the wake up packet to for each machine is kept in a file called "mac_address" in the machine's directory (I have another ugly script to generate those). So far "it works", though if the system ping is ever used with arguments other than a count and host this will break.

HTH,

Tony Del Porto
SysAdmin
USENIX Association
2560 9th Street, Suite 215, Berkeley CA 94710
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.usenix.org | www.sage.org