>> When that PST file is
>> available, things continue normally. When that PST is locked,
>> it causes the entire backup to fail.

> What do you mean by "When that PST file is available"?  Do you
> mean that outlook isn't running, so the PST file is unlocked?

Sorry to be unclear. When Outlook is running, the PST file is locked and the
backup fails with 'unexpected end of tar archive'. When Outlook isn't
running, the PST file is available (unlocked) and the backup succeeds.

> Can you clarify which combination of outlook running/not,
> and PST file name with/without an apostrophe causes the
> tar extract errors?
> Also, how large is the pst file?

The PST file is just over 2GB in size.

IF Outlook is running AND the PST file name has an apostrophe, the backup
fails.

IF Outlook is NOT running AND the PST file name has an apostrophe, the
backup succeeds, even though the PST file has an apostrophe in its name.

IF Outlook is running and the PST file DOES NOT have an apostrophe, the
backup succeeds, but warns properly with an email that the user should shut
down outlook and perform an incremental backup

The situation is repeatable, but I don't know that I want to test it on the
person's workstation. (It's a hassle for them for me to have to sit down at
their workstation and rename their PST file). How 'bout I setup a test
environment and see if I can repeat the scenario there?

Also, I keep getting this message:
The following hosts had an error that is probably caused by a
misconfiguration.  Please fix these hosts:
  - ao-pc102 (Unexpected end of tar archive)

I've checked the logs since the rename of the PST file, and it doesn't look
like there's anything amiss. Do I need to "clear" this error out somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Justin Best