On 12/20 01:14 , Filipe wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom escreveu:
> > On 12/19 07:17 , Filipe wrote:
> >
> >> Using Backuppc (debian) successfully  in my company for about 5 months,
> >> backing up 6 winXX shares using samba.
> >> The machine is a simple Pentium 4 with a 40GB HD that is getting full.
> >> Already ordered a 250GB ata100 hd. but I'm not sure what to do...
> >> should I use the 250Gb for the data only, or just replace the hd's using
> >> ghost?!
> >>

> > move the contents of /var/lib/backuppc (or whereever your data pool is) to
> > the new drive, and then mount the new drive on /var/lib/backuppc. It's a
> > very good idea to have your data on a separate drive from the OS. At the
> > very least, use a separate partition on disk.
> >
> > also, I would suggest using LVM on the data partition/disk. this will allow
> > you to add space much more easily in the future; or move your data to
> > another disk.
> >

> thanks...
> but if I have 2 drives like that, what should I do if one fails?

if the data drive fails, then you have the OS drive to use to recover your
data (if possible); or at least to quickly set up the new data drive.

if the OS drive fails, you put in a new drive, boot with knoppix, install
backuppc to knoppix's ramdrive, and restore your OS drive from backup.

it *is* best to have a redundant drive array in any situation. for buisness
use, a 3ware RAID controller will more than pay for itself the first time
you have a drive problem.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator