[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 01/16/2007
12:59:50 PM:

 > Timothy J. Massey wrote:
 >
 > >> Won't the frequent reformatting et al. wear out your hard drives
 > >> pretty fast?
 > >
 > > How is a couple of formats going to wear out a drive?  I did not go
 > > into
 > > further detail, but now I will:
 > >
 > > <snip>
 > >
 > > There were *so* many more problems in the article you linked than the
 > > fact the drive had to rebuild daily:  the fact that a desktop hard
 > > drive
 > > died after working for *years* in very high temperatures doesn't sound
 > > very unreasonable, does it?  The fact that someone depended upon
 > > *that*
 > > for their data storage is the problem, not the fact that the drive had
 > > to spend an hour or two a day copying itself, in a nice, linear
 > > non-seeking way.  It's not like the drive would have stopped spinning
 > > during that time...
 >
 > I'm sorry, reading this it feels like you think I was attacking you
 > or your methods. I wasn't really, I was genuinely wondering. And
 > well, it was just that I read that extreme story on TheDailyWTF the
 > day before that made me think about it. And yes, I was thinking about
 > low-level formats, but you're obviously not doing those every day.

I'm sorry if I was snippy.  I saw *very* little in common between the
link you sent and the solution that I've implemented.  Other than the
fact that they both involved hard drives...  :)

Frankly, I do *not* like my solution.  I think it has a number of downsides:

        * My archives have no history associated with them
        * I lose any kind of pooling in my archives
        * It's an extra step to get the archives in the first place, and extra
steps are extra places to fail
        * My archives are encapsulated into a single large file that I then
have to unpack somewhere
        * For now, my archive jobs are not integrated into the BackupPC GUI

and all kinds of other issues.  However, it's kind of like Winston
Churchill's quote on democracy:  it's the worst choice, except for all
the others...

Fortunately, the only time these limitations come into play is in the
event of total disaster:  if both the e.g. file server *and* the backup
server are unrecoverable.  Unfortunately, if I'm ever actually in that
situation, it's the time I want the *least* hassle with my backup!  :)

So, again:  I am *very* open to criticism, if you can suggest something
better!  I've mentioned the break-RAID-1-array solution.  I understand
the rationale, but I've decided that this is preferable.  Are there any
other solutions out there?

Or are you all going without off-site backup?  :)

Tim Massey