Les Mikesell said:
>> I've used **3** different computers with wildly different hardware.  On
>> the host side, I've used **4** different computers (and most of them are
>> high-end server hardware) with wildly different hardware.  It's not
>> related to a specific brand or type of hardware.
>
> But lots of other people including myself run rsync without errors so it
> has to be something unique to your situation.  That 'no route to host'
> message isn't coming from rsync - it is a system error that it is
> reporting. Maybe cables from a different vendor would help.

This is maybe a bit off topic, but I've recently set up 3 new server. All
have Intel e1000 NICs, and all had different network errors.

* e1000 with 82573E chipset: wrong EEPROM value
  -> updated EEPROM with ethtool
* all e1000 NICs: TCP Segmentation Offload not working correctly
  -> disabled with ethtool
* all e1000 NICs: default vm.min_free_kbytes value too small
  -> increased vm.min_free_kbytes to 16384

Some of the errors occured everytime I did a benchmark with netpip/netio,
some only occured infrequently during backup or with certain applications.
Sometimes the e1000 device just hang for a couple of seconds. The
interesting messages were always in the kernel log.

I've also see switches behaving very strange. Maybe testing the backup
with a direct connection between two computers would be a good idea too
(I've not followed the thread completely, maybe this already happend...).

Ralf