Hey,

  I'm Peter, and I have been using backuppc for about 8 months now, and I
am an addict.... oops, wrong open.... anyway....

I am a network admin for a prof. at Queens University, and I have 8
computers that I backup using backuppc, using rsync over ssh.  I have
recently ran into a problem with backuppc failing while backing up one of my
desktops, giving me the reason of sig ALARM.  I was wondering if anyone else
here has had this problem, and if so, what it's caused by.  The xfer seems
to start fine, but after about 5 hours, it fails... originally I thought the
problem maybe due to a partially corrupt filesystem, since I am using xfs,
and it does crap out from time to time, but it would seem as though that
isn't the case, as I have done a fsck on all the drives, and repaired the
one error I got on the client.  I tried the backup again, and again it
failed.  So now, I'm not so sure as to the problem.  If anyone has any
suggestions, or knows why backuppc would be getting a sig alrm, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Oh and a huge thanks to the guys who made this great peice of software.

Peter N.