Peter,

For testing purposes, you may reduce the alarm period, but under practical circumstances, it must be large enough that it doesn't cut off backups that would finish, had they been given the time to collect enough file information. The behavior also depends on the transport mechanism you use, so sometimes a 5 minute timeout will be fine, but if you switch transports the host never completes, and vice-versa.

Chances are, if you're not getting data in the pc/<hostname>/new directory, there's something wrong. When you run at the command line, are there files in the 'new' subdirectory? Make sure you do this test as the backuppc user. Also, try to ssh to the remote host and check that you have proper file permissions. Something may have changed with the configuration since you set it up.

One last thing: check the host for any really, really deep directory structures that are new. It would be dated just after your last valid backup. If there's a directory with millions of files, or huge numbers of subdirectories full of files, it could seriously bog down rsync while it builds a file list, because it pulls that info into memory. With a small enough memory configuration, it may be virtual memory swapping on the host, making it take up to 100x longer than normal. With low enough disk space on the client, it may be hanging or thrashing the disk looking for a place to put the VM, making it even slower. Of course, the simple solution would be to exclude such a directory tree until the issue can be remedied.

Hope that helps,
JH

Peter Nearing wrote:
Aaron,

When I ran the command line that it's trying, the data isn't coming, rsync is running on the client, but it stops there. The backuppc logs state that it's saving the data as a partial, tho. The ClientTimeout, may be it, I think I'll reduce it to something a lotta bit more sane... like 5 min... I hope this works.... but I'll let you know either way. Thanks for the quick reply.

Peter N.