On 9/26/07, Tony Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, due to a power failure, I was put in the lovely position of a
> corrupted ReiserFS tree.  I ran reiserfsck, which took 4 days to
> complete and just couldn't bring myself to trust stability of the disk.

Given the lack of interest/maintainers in ReiserFS, I wouldn't
recommend it to anyone.

> It still seems very slow to me.  I don't know if I should attribute it
> to the fact that everything it is doing is a full backup or not.
>
> I've attached the output from vmstat on the BackupPC server.  The server
> is currently running 3 full backups.

Your BackupPC server's disk is completely maxed out. Looks like it is
doing a lot of seeking. To get more throughput, you'll need more disk
spindles. RAID1 will improve random read IO performance, but you'll
need RAID10 w/4 disks which should get you 2-4x read performance and
2x write performance. Stay away from RAID5 unless you have a good
controller with a battery backed cache.

You can see from the vmstat output that the server is doing a bit of
reading and some writing. Given the low throughput (2-3MB/s) and high
IO wait, you can see that the disk is spending most of it's time doing
lots of small IO all over the disk which is typical of BackupPC disk
load.

> I'm going to investigate the currently installed software on this
> machine just to see if I can find any issues.

Your machine looks fine to me. Your backuppc data partition is a single disk?

As the others suggested, mounting the backuppc data partition with
noatime can help. I usually mount all my filesystems with noatime.
Mounting the backuppc data partition with data=ordered option may
help, too (the default is data=writeback).

I also typically avoid running more than 2 concurrent backups at a
time, but it's really a matter of balancing server CPU/disk/network
utilization to find out how many you can run. For a typical
single/dual CPU system with a single disk or RAID1, backing up
machines on the LAN, 2 concurrent backups is enough.

Did you also try enabling the checksum-seed option? What about
upgrading to backuppc 3.1beta and installing the IO::Direct perl
module? 3.1beta also has a few other performance improvements.

-Dave