im on the other side of the argument. i like forums as they are capable of
attracting people that would not want the 'full involvement' of a mailing
list.  i also dont like the mixing of a mailling list and a forum, i think
they both have their place and are both very good at servicing their target
audience.  i would not suggest displacing the mailing list with a forum,
just have both.  obviously some people will not use the forums and some will
not use the mailing list.

i think that the wiki is something that should be setup first though and the
politics of a forum can come later