On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:

>> So I'm more thinking about a Joomla based site. Joomla has lots of
>> Extensions that can provide structured functionality. Sure it needs a
>> good basic setup, but once that is done, the info stays in that structure.
>
> Just as a Joomla site needs a 'good basic setup' I think a wiki would also
> work just fine if it had a 'good basic setup' (setup some good categories,
> etc.). And commands and scripts don't necessarily need file uploads (though
> you could enable them for a wiki just fine), I'd just paste them in a code
> block on a wiki page. I really think I'd like a wiki better.

I tend to agree with Nils; if you use Joomla or any other CMS, at the end
of the day you're still left with "just another website", that duplicates a
lot of the already-available info in the backuppc docs and which someone,
or at best a small team, has to maintain.

Similarly, forums would be a great idea of the mailing lists didn't
already exist, but I don't see any real need for them since the mailing
lists are so active.

A wiki, on the other hand, is needed. It would be great to have a
repository for tips, tricks, scripts, documentation, how-tos, FAQs (and
SAQs), etc. You're 100% right that it would require a "good basic setup"
but I'm sure that looking at wikis for a few other active projects would
provide a great starting point (don't plagarize the structure of one wiki,
look at several and call it research!). Invest time in a wiki up-front to
get the structure right and 90% of the rest can be done by the community.

The other 10%?? Periodic review of the structure, moving pages to where
they fit best, and removing spam/vandalism. It should be obvious, but I
would recommend that whomever takes on this project makes sure to configure
the wiki so as to deter vandals. While anyone should be able to edit pages
(leveraging the community's knowledge), it's not a big inconvenience to ask
people to register and/or use captchas. Either should go a long way towards
preventing spam vandalism.

Oh, and whomever donates space and time to this, don't forget to backup the
website and sql db! It would be embarassing to have a wiki dedicated to a
backup project and forget to back it up. :-)

> Nils Breunese.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C