Les Mikesell wrote:
> Christopher Derr wrote:
>> Alternatively, I could go the more extensible route:  multiple, slightly
>> less buff memory-wise backuppc servers, backing up to a large SAN, even
>> at the same time.  For an environment where I may be backing up data in
>> the terabytes, would multiple backuppc head nodes backing up to a SAN
>> over iSCSI/fiber be a good bet?
>
> That's going to depend on the layout of the disks in the SAN.  You'll
> want the volumes to be completely independent, not grouped in an array
> that share drives, then split into volumes.  And it will be more
> expensive (but perhaps more convenient)than just putting a couple of big
> SATA drives in the backuppc server case.

It sounds like you might have missed the point. You should work out what
is the limiting factor in your current situation (most people are
suggesting the primary factor is disk access speed), so depending on the
config of your SAN it may not improve disk access speed from backuppc at
all, and hence is no advantage. Perhaps getting faster disks, or
optimising the mount options for your filesystem, or choosing a
different filesystem, or changing some raid parameters would make enough
of a difference.

Recently some optimisations were discussed that made a significant
difference:
1) Mount your filesystem with noatime or equivalent so every time
backuppc looks at a file it doesn't need to write the new atime. The
atime is not relevant to backuppc anyway. You might also be able to
disable the atime update for directories nodiratime

2) There was mention of disabling some feature of RAID5 (maybe bitmaps
or something) which I recall giving a 20% improvement.

3) When the filesystem is created (if using ext3) then apparently there
are some extra options/care that should be used when putting it on a
RAID5 array so that one drive doesn't get all of the <something> on it.

Hmmm, is there a page on the wiki for performance enhancing backuppc? Is
there a disk section on that? Can someone who knows the answers to the
above add some bits to it, it would likely help a number of people.

Oh, then there is the rsync performance improving checksum-cache or
similar which might also help you if you are not already using it.

Hope some of that helps.... Some of those (noatime and checksum-cache
should be very easy to change and make a big improvement to performance.

Regards,
Adam
- --
Adam Goryachev
Website Managers
Ph: +61 2 8304 0000                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax: +61 2 8304 0001                            www.websitemanagers.com.au

Please note, all email from me sent after August 2007 will be signed.