>> Alternatively, I could go the more extensible route:  multiple,
>> slightly less buff memory-wise backuppc servers, backing up to a
>> large SAN, even at the same time.  For an environment where I may be
>> backing up data in the terabytes, would multiple backuppc head nodes
>> backing up to a SAN over iSCSI/fiber be a good bet?
>
> That's going to depend on the layout of the disks in the SAN.  You'll
> want the volumes to be completely independent, not grouped in an array
> that share drives, then split into volumes.  And it will be more
> expensive (but perhaps more convenient)than just putting a couple of
> big SATA drives in the backuppc server case.

Right.  The reason I mention a multiple-head/SAN situation is that
people were recommending more than one backuppc server.  If that's a
memory/cpu issue, then multiple-heads would help.  If it's a
disk-thrashing issue, nothing is really going to help other than smaller
backups or completely separate backup servers.

Is backuppc up to the task of backing up TBs of data?  Or should I be
looking at software that explicitly states "for the enterprise" like
Symantec Backup Exec, Legato, or even open source Bacula?  All of these
are just getting on the bandwagon for deduplication (backuppc's
"pooling") and that's almost a must-have feature for disk-to-disk backups.

Chris