Both the use of a package manager and compiling from source both have their
places.

Personally, after years of installing everything from source, I now use
packages for most software. There are a few pieces of software which aren't
available in .debs, but it's fairly easy to roll your own from source once
you get the hang of it. Debs, RPMs, or some other package format, and the
associated tools, are almost mandatory if you manage more than 5 or so
machines. And when you get to 100 or more, even some of the vendors' tools
must be, ahem, coerced, to make them work well without babysitting them.

The only things I install from source and don't create a .deb for are
mission-critical server software. This includes things like imapd,
my webmail server, and yes.. backuppc and backuppc4afs
(http://backuppc4afs.sourceforge.net) </plug :-)> Those I just document to
hell and back.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

   The trouble with doing something right the first time is that
   nobody appreciates how difficult it was.