On 03/11 10:57 , Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Dale King wrote:
>
> > Old thread I know but I was thinking about the current situation (at
> > least
> > in debian) with config.pl being changed at each upgrade.
>
> I'd file a bug with the Debian packager or is this normal behavior on
> Debian?

What he's referring to is that new options are added to the config.pl file
with every version. So you have to go back and edit the new config file to
apply your changes to the new file. I believe there's some script that does
this somewhat automatically if you're installing from source; but no good
administrator will install from source.

So the idea is that the config.pl file holds the defaults; the
config-local.pl holds the changes to the system-wide defaults; and you can
freely clobber the old config.pl with a new one, and not worry about
overwriting someone's changes.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator