On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - You can exclude the directories with the often altered PHP files. For me
>> this sounds like a machine of a WEB developer constantly editing PHP files.
>> In this case the source is probably already „backed up“ by a versioning
>> control system (git, mercurial, whatever…)
>
> As wrote, I'm backingup also many many many mail servers.
> IMAP folders with Maildir (dovecot or any other software supporting
> Maildir format)
> are full of files that would be renamed when users read/access the
> email (at least, some
> flag would be added to the file named) or moved when users moves the email
> between folders.
>
> For example, new mails would be placed in /new/ directory.
> This directory *must* be backupped "as-is"
> When users access the email for the first time, the email file will be
> moved in /cur/
> This directory *must* be backupped "as-is"
> When users set an imap flag (priority, read/unread, etc etc) the mail
> file is renamed.
>
> As we have more or less 500.000 mailboxes in about 50 servers (that I
> have to backup)
> most of these mailboxes are used night and day, even during backups hours,
> thus
> BPC/Rsync should be able to copy potentially mutable files with no complains
>
> Obviously I can't exclude mails from backups and actually BPC is marking all
> backups as failed as soon as one file change during the rsync procedure.

Changed/removed files are not supposed to be fatal, but you may be the
first person trying to use v4 in an environment like that.  It would
not be surprising to find some bugs or inefficiencies in the new way
of handling things.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com