Hello.

26.10.2017, 01:27, "Ethan Tarr" <eta...@gmail.com>:

I’m having a funny issue with a host. A few weeks ago, the machine running BackupPC lost the ability to find the NetBIOS name of a laptop (10.1.10.121) on the network. I eventually just resolved the issue by adding an entry to the hosts file, but one of the first things I tried while troubleshooting was to check the DHCP box for that laptop in Hosts.

If you need NetBIOS - you need to add entry in lmhosts file, not hosts file. But I'm not sure if these files differs on linux systems.
And you can not add there dhcp host, see here for details https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959846.aspx.

From then on, even after unchecking the box, and restarting BackupPC as well as the machine it’s running on, there is a phantom 10.1.10.121 host that appears in “Failures that need attention” and in the daily admin email. I can’t find any mention of this “host” in any of the configs or the directory structure. How should I go about clearing this out?

You can do strace to backuppc process, when this strange event with IP-address occurs. Or do network dump at that moment with tcpdump/tshark. Maybe you can find info there.

Thanks for your time.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Win10 have NetBIOS disabled by default. Mayve reaso here?

Anyway, you gave small amount of information about whole picture.

,