backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 > Paul Fox wrote at about 15:52:07 -0500 on Wednesday, November 16, 2022:
 >  > backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 >  >  > 'backuppcfs' is a (read-only) FUSE fileystem that allows you to see
 >  >  > the contents/ownership/perms/dates/Xattrs etc. of any file in your
 >  >  > backup.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > It is great for troubleshooting as well as for partial restores...
 >  >
 >  > Are you referring to the version that Craig attached to this list
 >  > message in June 2017?  Or is there a later version?
 >  >
 >  > (Not that I don't trust Craig to have gotten the v4 support right the
 >  > first time.  :-)
 >  >
 >  >   https://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/35899426/
 >  >
 >  > paul
 >  >

 > I believe a later version was posted and is indeed necessary for v4
 > since:
 > - The notion of how incrementals are constructed from fulls has been
 >   inverted
 > - The format of the attrib files has changed extensively
 > - The pool hierarchy, naming convention, and storage format have
 >   changed
 > - Xattrs are now supported
 >
 > Look through the archives... it was posted since v4 somewhere...

I did some searching.

On 2017-06-17, Craig attached his "updated for 4.x" version here:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/35899426/
This is the same message and version that I linked to above.

On 2019-04-11, Alexander Kobel endorsed it, but provided some caveats
about using it:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/36636938/

On 2019-05-02, backu...@kosowsky.org (i.e., you :-) reported that it
emits (apparently benign?) error messages:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/36655409/

I find no later version, in the archives, than the one posted
by Craig.

I did see the version that Mike Hughes pointed out, created by github
user phoenix741, here:
    https://gist.github.com/phoenix741/99a5076569b01ba5a116cec24a798d5f
The starting point of that code is identical to Craig's version of
06-2017, with the addition of a small patch that appears to modify
some ranges of attributes:

https://gist.github.com/phoenix741/99a5076569b01ba5a116cec24a798d5f/revisions?diff=unified

With no comments in the code, and no commit log (do gists even have
commit logs?), it's a little hard for a layman to know what the purpose
of the patch is.  (Is it generally applicable?  Or did it only solve some
particular problem of theirs?)

So anyway, these are all the versions of v4-capable backuppcfs I've been
able to find.

Needless to say, it would be great if someone would take that script and
take on a maintainer role.  (I don't have the perl skills, nor the necessary
backuppc knowledge, to do that myself.)

paul