On Friday 05 August 2005 10:48 am, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Use 1.37 and Python.

I am waiting for it to be released, but I don't relish the thought of having
ot learn Python just to label my volumes.  I read your documentation on it
and it is scant at best for someone who is not familiar with Python.

> Have you read the chapter on backing up to disk?  I haven't looked at your
> problem in detail, and unfortunately do not have the time, but it seems to
> me that numbering the backup volumes Inc001 Inc002 Inc003 ... Full001 ...
> Diff001... is very simple, and you can cycle through them with no problem.
> You label them once and forget about it.  No fiddling with dates. No
> complicating your life.

Yes I have read the chapter.  The problem here is that I need a separate
volume for each backup of each client, because I archive them to tape
afterward for offsite storage.  I need monthly for 6 months, weekly for 1
month, and daily for 1 month.  I am having a hard time figuring out a
numbering scheme that will recycle the volumes correctly regardless of how
many weeks/days are in a month.  I have resigned myself to having 4 weeks
instead of 1 month, but it will be very confusing to me to cycle through 30
days.  What happens in February or any 31-month day?  To figure out which
offsite backup I need, I will have to get out a calendar and go through the
months figuring out which week or day I am going to land on.

Misty