Last month I reported a problem where my system would hang whenever I ran multiple concurrent jobs that backup to a single RAID array after upgrading from bacula 1.36.2 to 1.36.3. This problem still persists in 1.38.1.

I've got one director, four clients, four backup jobs (one per client), four pools (one per client), and four storage daemons (one per client). Max Concurrent Jobs on the director is upped to four so that I can back up all four machines at the same time.

The storage daemons all write to the same RAID array, and I think this is the problem. The documentation says that Storage daemons can't share Devices, and I suppose that's what I'm doing.

I tried setting the Devices to different folders within the array, but that didn't work. I tried giving them all different Media Types too. That didn't work either. It looks like bacula really is locking by physical device, and I can't get around that by asking it to treat folders as devices. If I were backing up to tape instead of disk, this wouldn't be an issue, I suppose.

I cut back my configuration to just one Storage daemon. This works, but all four jobs have to take turns waiting on the Storage daemon. Maybe if I had all the jobs share a single pool too, they might be able to run concurrently, but I've grown to like having a separate file for each machine.