Subject: Time for a Bacula book?
Date: Saturday 07 January 2006 01:43
From: John Walker To: Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

One thing I've regretted over the last 10 years, is that I didn't
take time out in the height of the Speak Freely madness to write a guide for
people interested in deploying it which would probably have been picked up by
O'Reilly since many of their books cover software with far fewer downloads
than Speak Freely.

Maybe the time has come for a Bacula book.

Is there somebody in the Bacula user community, ideally an articulate person
employed by a large-scale site, who would be interested in writing a book
called, say, "Deploying Bacula"?  This would be a typical O'Reilly title
which was aimed at the system administrator who wants to roll out Bacula on
their network.  A substantial part of the book could be cut and pasted from
the existing HTML documentation as a reference, and additional chapters
could cover the issues in getting autochangers to work, heterogeneous site
support, and complex configurations (multiple storage nodes, encrypted
links, VPN issues, etc.)

Having an O'Reilly title is a huge step up for an OpenSource product. There's nothing wrong with, as Mike Ford used to say, "making it happen".
===
[Mike Ford is an Autodesk founder and was our first Marketing and Sales manager -- kes]

Hello,

Last weekend, John Walker send me the above email, and I think he is right. It is time to do a Bacula book. This would not be a simple, short, or easy project because: 1. writing a book is a lot of work (I have never written one, but I have written a lot of manuals); 2. It is not at all clear that O'Reilly or any other major publisher would accept a Bacula book as I suspect that Bacula is relatively unknown ...

Nevertheless, I would like to find someone to undertake this project, preferrably with the kinds of skills mentioned by John. For my part, I can work on finding a publisher, contribute a good amount of the work and provide authorization to use any part of the current manual. In turn, I would expect that the person or persons who work on this would share any royalties with the Bacula project; details to be determined ...

Comments?

Does this interest anyone?

Regards Kern

PS: If I remember correctly there is at least one "printing company" that uses Bacula. If you could be of any help finding a publisher, please let me know.