Hi,

> On 1/19/2006 12:08 PM, Ralf Gross wrote:
>> I want to backup 2 of our server to tape (AIT-2, 50GB native, 65-70GB
>> compressed, TLS-4210 12 slot autochanger). bacula 1.36.3 (debian sarge,
>> maybe I'll build bacula 1.38.4 from source...) is running and I'm
>> already able to backup to tape.
>
> First, upgrade to 1.38.whatever-is-current.

I'd like to stay with the debian package, but it seems to take some more
time before a new version will be released. I consider building bacula
from source...

> Using volumes from more than one pool in one autochanger is not
> supported with 1.36, and you will probably run into problems sooner or
> later.

Hm, you mean I can use only one pool per changer in 1.36.3? Ok, it seems I
have to build bacula from source.

>> Server 1:
>>  * ~55GB data
>>  * full backup each Sunday 6am
>>  * no inc/diff backup
>>  * 2 tapes/slots for 2 backups/weeks
>>
>> Server 2:
>>  * ~190GB data (takes 10 hours and more...)
>>  * monthly backup at the first Saturday 8pm of the new month, this
>> should
>> be archived for 2 years
>>  * regular full backup each Friday at 7pm, incr. backup Moday to
>> Thursday
>> at 7pm
>>
>> Because I'm only rarely at the place where the autochanger is located, I
>> can't change the tapes every week. My goal is to change only the archive
>> tapes once a month and - if possible - leave/reuse the other tapes.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure how to setup bacula to achieve this. Should I really
>> use 2 differnt jobs and differnt pools for the regular/archive backup of
>> server 2?
>
> One job per each combination of client and fileset. You set the levels
> in the schedule. See the manual for more information.

That would result in the 3 jobs I described above.

>> I'd create a pool with 2 tapes for server 1, and a pool with 3 tapes for
>> the archive job. Thus 7 tapes are left for the regular jobs. But the 2
>> regular full backups already need 6 tapes, thus only 1 tape is left for
>> the incr. job.
>
> Determining the right strategy is, obviously, up to you. (You wouldn't
> be the first to discover that your autochanger doesn't fit your needs,
> though.)

At the moment, tapes are the only way to archive data and put them into a
safe here. 200GB+ disk are still more expensive and need more space than
tapes.

> Apart from that, I don't exactly understand why you make a distinction
> between archive and regular jobs. The simplest solution is to keep the
> full backups as long as you need them, and have the differential and
> incremental jobs go to pools that cycle more quickly.

I want to keep the monthly archive tapes for 2 years. But the regular full
backup should be kept only 14 days. I want to change the tapes only one
time a month. Thus the regular backup must be overwritten more frequently
and I think I have to use 2 different jobs/pools to achieve that.

> In that case, you could leave the diff/incr volumes in the changer and
> only remove the full backup volumes.

Hm, you would use 2 separate pools for the full and inrc. volumes, take
out the monthly tape and put it in the safe? How can I be sure the monthly
tape is not overwritten by a regular job if I forget to take it out? (I'm
sure this is covered by the manual...). The focus should be - as mentioned
above - to change the archive tapes only once a month.

>> I'm also very unsure about the right settings for
>> retention/prune/purge/recycle.
>
> That's something you should look up in the manual, then - I couldn't
> explain it much differently.

Ok.

>> Maybe I'm a just bit to confused at the moment ;)
>
> Maybe... start with a simple experimental setup, with a small fileset,
> disk based volumes, and run your backups multiple times a day. This
> would allow you to observer the volume management live.

That's a good idea. Is it possible to simulate the changer behavior with
slots in any way (I guess not)?

Ralf