Hi,

On 3/10/2006 6:18 PM, DAve wrote:
Good morning,

I've got my new equipment and I hope to have time next week to start building out the new backup servers. Currently we do most of our work with MySQL simply because support is good with the software packages we use. I looked through GMANE for info on any preferences for which backend I should use with Bacula and didn't find anything.

Will I gain anything switching to Postgres from MySQL? I'm comfortable with Postgres though not nearly as familiar with it. But, if switching will be beneficial then that is what I will install.

I don't know about any performance comparisons done with Bacula in an identical environment. To me (but I'm not a PostgreSQL person) it seems that PostgreSQL can be tuned quite a lot, but I've never worked with a setup where the catalog database was the limiting factor for Bacula.

So I guess my question really is, "is there a preferred database backend for Bacula?".

Depending on who you ask, I think ;-)

System will be a fresh install from FreeBSD ports (normally I use src but I'm just too dang busy right now).

- FreeBSD 5
- SATA RAID 1

Make this a RAID 5 or 6, preferrably with a "real" RAID controller, more preferrable with a stand-alone system - losing a TB of customers data due to hard disk breakdown is definitely no fun. Also, make sure you have the ability to produce and handle off-site copies of that data.

- 1gb private LAN
- File storage
- Current Bacula storage is exceeding 100mb on two independant Bacula installs
- Projected storage requirements will be 500mb

Really MB? then it doesn't sound like you will notice any difference between even an out-of-the-box database setup and a carefully tuned database with the best choice for Bacula...

(if we begin offering client backups, this will go past 1tb quickly)

If you think about 1 TB per full backup run as opposed to one TB overall storage for all backup generations that's definitely different...

Arno

- Data backed up is websites, SQL dumps, Cisco configs, server configs(/etc, /usr/local/etc), file server contents such as PDF, DOC, XLS, and either dump files or bare metal recovery for key servers.

Thanks,

DAve

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]