On Wednesday 05 July 2006 09:30, Niels Huylebroeck wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 July 2006 18:17, Niels Huylebroeck wrote:
> >> I thought the whole point about 2.6 was that all the /lib/tls
> >> dependencies were gone cause they were compiled inside kernel ?
> >
> > Yes, I think you are right.  However, RedHat kept /lib/tls around even
> > with 2.6 kernels through FC4.  /lib/tls still exists in FC5, but it is
> > empty.
> >
> > After thinking about it, I would recommend that you just change the name
> > to /lib/broken-tls and see what happens.  That is what I did here with
> > 2.4 kernels and it resolved all the problems.
> >
> > I never saw any of the /lib/tls problems with Fedora systems FC4 or FC5
> > where the kernel was 2.6 by default.
>
> My backups finally ran last night. The LD_ASSUME_... environment did the
> trick.
> Does activating this variable have any negative performance on the backup ?

I would put it the other way around.  In your situation, not having the
variable has severe performance problems.   However, with this environment
variable, you are not making use of the new kernel TLS code.

> Otherwise I'd suggest you change the detection (which is still present
> in RedHat SysV init scripts supplied in the bacula tarball)
> to not filter on the specific kernel version, but always use the
> environment variable when /lib/tls exists and /etc/redhat-release exists.
>
> Might be a bit harsh but it should prevent further cases like this.
>
> Here's the part in the SysV init scripts :
> # if /lib/tls exists, force Bacula to use the glibc pthreads instead
> if [ -d "/lib/tls" -a $OS = "Linux" -a `uname -r | cut -c1-3` = "2.4" ]
> ; then
>      export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
> fi
>
> I'd change the if statement to
> if [ -d "/lib/tls" -a $OS = "Linux" -f "/etc/redhat-release" ] ; then

Unfortunately, I cannot make the change you suggest as that would prevent a
lot of users from using the new "correct" tls code.  On FC4 with /lib/tls and
FC5 with an empty /lib/tls, both running 2.6 kernels, Bacula works perfectly
fine.

I suspect that you have an old /lib/tls that does not correspond to your
kernel, and that is why you had problems.

> >> I'll try the environment fix and let you know tomorrow how it went.
>
> You might've guessed, the backup finally ran automatically. Thanks for
> all your support.

Great.