I have been running into the authentication error at times when I am
POSITIVE everything is set up correctly. The box I am having trouble
with now is a win2003 server. It had a working client on it, and
communicated happily with a bacula director. I set up a new bacula
server on Ubuntu, and it works fine locally, but it errors out
(authentication) when talking to the win2003 box. I had this happen on
another box a couple weeks ago, and fixed it by reinstalling, and
reconfiguring the client. The win2003 box can ping the director by name
and telnet to it on ports 9101, 9102, 1nd 9103. It can also attach to
the director via bconsole, and wxconsole. The bacula server can ping the
win2003 server by name, but cannot connect to it to check the status, or
run jobs because of the authentication error. When I set up the new
server (1.3.11), I copied and pasted the pertinent config information
from the working bacula server to bacula-dir.conf. The bacula server
fires up without errors, and ps -A shows dir, sd, and fd running. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled the the windows client ( using 1.3.10 now),
and restarted the service several times.

Not sure what to look for next.

believed to be clean.