> I have a problem that may be simple. But trying to get a traceback is
> proving to be problematic. Following the directions in the manual, and
> what I could find in archives, I believe I am doing it correctly.
> However a couple issues spring up.
>
> First, the manual states that running btraceback manually should send
> the current state of bacula and exit leaving the processes running. This
> is true if there are no jobs running.
> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback2.txt
>
> But if jobs are running, bacula-dir goes away. Should btraceback stop
> bacula-dir?
> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback3.txt
>
> And finally, the traceback I get when I see the problem I am trying to
> report. I get the strange feeling that I need more information to
> properly report the problem to Kern.
> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback1.txt
>
> I am running Bacula 1.38.5
> FreeBSD 5.4
> Bacula installed from ports.
> I have debug set to a value of 99.
> I am running btraceback manually as root with the following command.
> btraceback /usr/local/sbin/bacula-dir 86459
>
> The PID is correct and  /usr/local/sbin/btraceback has been correctly
> edited.
>
> Thanks, any assistance is appreciated.

The errors "Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)" and "No
stack" can mean several things, in order of likeliness:

1) the code doesn't contain sufficient debug info
2) gdb is broken or incompatible with gcc
3) gcc is broken or incompatible with gdb

You could try configuring and building Bacula with CFLAGS="-g" to solve 1,
though there will still be issues with the system libraries.

If that doesn't work, then building your own gdb from the latest sources might
help with 2.  You might be able to build your own gcc too, but that's pretty
drastic.

Finally, you can run bacula-dir directly under gdb (add the -f option when
starting bacula-dir).  Then interrupt bacula-dir and use the gdb commands in
the script at the gdb command line, which should allow you to skip any that
fail.

__Martin