On Wednesday 17 January 2007 15:10, DAve wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > badmin is a GUI project to create a Bacula Administrative Console.
> >
> > This console should be capable of the following things:
> >
> > - be a Graphical interface
> > - Include all the features of:
> >    - bconsole
> >    - gnome-console
> >    - wx-console
> >    - bacula-web
> >    - bweb
> >    - brestore
> >    - jbacula
> >    - tray-monitor
> > - tree selection of files for restore (like wx-console)
> > - tree selection of files for backup
> > - graphical creation of FileSets
> > - resource display/modification
> > - catalog display/modification
> > - graphical report generation (like bacula-web, bweb)
> > - programmable graphical report generation
> > - scriptable
> > - create/modify configuration files
> > - remote client upgrade
> > - software update/problem/patch notification
> > - software patch installation
> > - monitor daemons
> >

> Maybe I am out of line here as I am not on the developer list, in fact
> still a new Bacula user. But I am curious what the method will be for
> "tree selection of files for backup" and "graphical creation of FileSets"?
>
> The reason I ask is that we have had much discussion here about wanting
> a graphical application for running on the fd side so a user with access
> could manage the backup for that fd machine only. Such as our
> development department, right now they send changes to the FileSet to
> me, with a Bacula GUI they might be able to manage their own backups.
>
> The one holdup was that Bacula maintains it's FileSet information in the
> bacula-dir.conf on the dir.

This will continue to be the case at least in the foreseeable future.

> How will the GUI manage this information?

> I  would not want someone on development-fd to cause a config reload on
> director-dir at will.

This is up to you to manage.  For the foreseeable future Bacula will remain a
central control model.

> Would it be possible to store FileSet information in the DB? Possibly
> the bacula-dir could read the next client job from the bacula-dir.conf,
> and fetch the FileSet from SQL.
>
> Job {
>     Name = newjob
>     JobDefs = newjob
>     SQLFileSet = newjob
>     Write Bootstrap = "/data/backups/newjob.bsr"
>     }
>

> Is this a feature request?

You can make the feature request, but at the moment, I'm not planning to add
any more config data to the DB.  There are already enough problems in that
regard concerning disaster recovery without making it worse.

There are other solutions to the problem that we may be able to implement, but
we first need to get the project off the ground.  There will be *plenty* of
time to be concerned about functionality once the basic framework is working
so please go ahead and discuss these issues, and I will take note, but not
respond to all of them at the current time other than to say that in general,
I would like this adminstratrative console to have as much functionality as
possible, while at the same time, I reserve the perogative to review the
exact details of the implementation to keep it within the current (though
evolving) Bacula philosophy.