> My question: Is there a way to set up the bacula-storage to dump files
> to a disk into a file system structure that could be shared using SMB,
> NFS, whatever? How can I achieve this effect, or is it not currently
> supported / thought of? Any reading pointers on that?

I don't think it's possible to back up directly to a directory
structure. That is, you can't "back up to folder hierarchy". (I mean,
what happens to incrementals? Retention periods? etc.)

I think what you want to do can be done, but it involves restoring
the backups after they are made into this SMB folder. (It may also be
possible to do it with a cronjob and bacula's command-line tools like
"bls" and "bextract".)

My guess would be that you can use the "Write bootstrap" directive
for a Backup job to save the bootstrap (restoration settings) into a
file. This will contain various things about what volume and byte
offsets are needed, etc.

You can then have another scheduled Restore job which uses the
"Bootstrap" directive too read the details, but whose "Client" and
"Where" directives are set to your SMB server/folder. Then set the
Schedule and Priority so that it will always run after the backup
jobs occur. (Or run bextract and pass it the bootstrap, etc.)

--
--Darien A. Hager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]