On Saturday 07 April 2007 22:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > See the patches directory in the source code.  There is a patch for a
later
> > version.  It is possible that version 7 has the patch integrated, but you
> > will need to check that.
>
>  Is there a certain function/feature that I can look for in version 7 to
> know if it has what Bacula needs?

Yes, but I forget the details. You will need to look at the patch.  If I
remember right it adds a -F option.

> > I don't recommend using DVDs for any serious backup.  The Bacula 2.0.x DVD
> > backup seems to work, but I consider the code BETA, and even if it were
> > production, I wouldn't put my data on DVD (CDROM perhaps, but not DVD).
>
>  Interesting.  Mind if I ask why? I need to back up close to 100 gigs.
> Why not write that to media that holds ~4 gigs per piece instead of to
> something that holds ~800 megs?

They are not reliable.

>  With advances in capacity of optical media, is the general opinion that
> seemingly older technology is "better" for backups?  Not trying to start
> a religious flame war, just wondering if there's something that others
> know about backup media that I need to learn. :)

Modern tape drives (excluding Travan and DDS) i.e. DLT, LTO, ..  are much more
reliable, and from what I read they are more cost effective per GB.

In any case, you are free to choose what you want.