Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Sunday 08 April 2007 10:15, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> > Do you have any pointer to reliability tests that prove what you say?
>
> No, but I imagine it is easy to obtain on the Web.

I'm afraid it's not. I've googled around but didn't manage to find such a
document. Only opinions (both in favor of tapes and DVDs), but nothing
proven.

> Ask a DVD manufacturer how long he will guarantee the data on a
> DVD.  I suspect that there is *no* guarantee.

Just an example:
http://www.verbatim.com.sg/technotes/DVD-RW_Lifetime.pdf

> If you ask a good tape
> manufacturer (HP), they will tell you 30 years.

However I think that neither guarantee is a real guarantee, but their are just
marketing strategies. When we'll be in 2035 I'll try to go to HP with a
failed tape I've bought last year and see if they will refund me. :)
I'd like to try the same in 2056 with Verbatim. :)

After having read various opinions it seems that the longest lifetime of DVDs
comes with Taiyo Yuden DVD+R and good storage practices (no sunlight, DVDs
kept in vertical position, little umidity, no more than 20 celsius degrees).

Lucio.