On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Nick Pope wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2007, at 12:48 PM, David Boyes wrote:
>
>>> I would like to second this. Right now I have duplicates of
>>> everything
>>> to first do a local backup and 7 hours later another backup of the
>> same
>>> data (but without the scripts and longer runtime) to an offsite
>> storage
>>> to mirror the data.
>>
>> In our shop, this wouldn't be sufficient to satisfy the auditors. The
>> contents of the systems could have changed, and thus the replica is
>> not
>> a provably correct copy.
>
> It seems that an interim step that involves less effort is possible.
> Couldn't the migrate capability be altered ever so slightly to allow
> the "migration" of a job without purging the old job from the
> catalog?  This would allow bitwise identical backup(s) to be created
> without having to create a forking/muxing SD/FD.
>
> This, of course, does not create the identical backups at the same
> instant in time, but it would solve the off-site backup problem with
> much less effort.  I'm certainly not discounting the need for a
> muxing SD, but if we got the copy/migrate-without-purge capability
> much faster, would it meet many people's needs?

It depends...  Think of a case where you've got equipment in a datacenter.
It's unattended, so your tape backups are back at the office which may
have a fairly slow link.  It would be very, very handy to have the data
sent both to a box with a bunch of big disks in the datacenter (for quick
recovery) as well as to a tape drive at the office (more of an offsite
emergency use only sort of thing).

Charles