Hi,

22.08.2007 03:01,, James Harper wrote::
>> (note that retention times can make
>> this interesting: You bscan, the old jobs are added to the catalog,
>> but then the old jobs, files or volumes are immediately pruned...)
>
> Can you elaborate on this?

Sure...

> I think I have been bitten by that too. I
> mucked around a lot to try and get a volume catalogued that was past its
> retention period, and in the end I think that the way I solved it was to
> delete the volume completely from the catalogue, but I did a lot of
> other stuff that I can't quite remember and am not sure which bits made
> a difference anyway.

As you found out, automatic pruning can be really annoying :-)

> Does anyone have a procedure for re-importing a catalogue from a volume
> which has been pruned?

My procedure is like this:
- I usually know which volumes I need to scan, and I know which pool
they belong to. I even know which client's data is interesting to me.
- I change the relevant retentention settings in the DIR config and
reload. If necessary, I change the retention settings in the catalog,
too (like 'update volume=xxx' and then follow the menu) ur I disable
automatic pruning for the volumes in question). Don't forget to relaod
the DIR after doing configuration changes, and don't forget to verify
the modified configuration is usable using "bacula-dir -t -c ..."
- I bscan the volumes into the catalog. If the volumes are already
existing in the catalog, pruning will not take place because the
volume settings disallow it. It the volumes are newly created (I don't
recall if I ever had such a case...) the default settings should
prevent the volume from being automatically pruned.
- Do the work you need to do, typically restores.
- Undo the configuration and volume attribute changes, where
necessary. Don't forget the 'reload'.

Some extra work, but at least you don't have to scan the volumes
multiple times :-)

Arno

> Thanks
>
> James