Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 22.08.2007 03:01,, James Harper wrote::
>
>>>(note that retention times can make
>>>this interesting: You bscan, the old jobs are added to the catalog,
>>>but then the old jobs, files or volumes are immediately pruned...)
>>
>>Can you elaborate on this?
>

> Sure...
>

>>I think I have been bitten by that too. I
>>mucked around a lot to try and get a volume catalogued that was past its
>>retention period, and in the end I think that the way I solved it was to
>>delete the volume completely from the catalogue, but I did a lot of
>>other stuff that I can't quite remember and am not sure which bits made
>>a difference anyway.
>

> As you found out, automatic pruning can be really annoying :-)
>

>>Does anyone have a procedure for re-importing a catalogue from a volume
>>which has been pruned?
>

> My procedure is like this:
> - I usually know which volumes I need to scan, and I know which pool
> they belong to. I even know which client's data is interesting to me.
> - I change the relevant retentention settings in the DIR config and
> reload. If necessary, I change the retention settings in the catalog,
> too (like 'update volume=xxx' and then follow the menu) ur I disable
> automatic pruning for the volumes in question). Don't forget to relaod
> the DIR after doing configuration changes, and don't forget to verify
> the modified configuration is usable using "bacula-dir -t -c ..."
> - I bscan the volumes into the catalog. If the volumes are already
> existing in the catalog, pruning will not take place because the
> volume settings disallow it. It the volumes are newly created (I don't
> recall if I ever had such a case...) the default settings should
> prevent the volume from being automatically pruned.
> - Do the work you need to do, typically restores.
> - Undo the configuration and volume attribute changes, where
> necessary. Don't forget the 'reload'.
>
> Some extra work, but at least you don't have to scan the volumes
> multiple times :-)
>
> Arno

Hey Arno,

I know the jobid and the volumes. I have the retention period set at a
year, and it is less than a year ago, but when I attempt to restore the
jobid it comes up with zero files. I assume that this means that the job
has been pruned, but that there is still info about the volumes in the
catalog, since they have a long retention time. So, if I want to restore
at this point, I don't think I need to make the changes you were
suggesting above to the dir config or to the volumes themselves, but I
should just be able to scan the volumes into the catalog at this point.
Is this correct? I'm a bit confused as to why you would ever need to
change things in the dir config file, if the volumes still show up in
list volumes.

thanks,
maria