Hi,

23.08.2007 01:18,, Maria McKinley wrote::
> <snipped a bit>
... snipped some more bits ...
>>> I'm a bit confused as to why you would ever need to
>>> change things in the dir config file, if the volumes still show up in
>>> list volumes.
>>
>> In your case, just to ensure the job files are not pruned.
>>
>> Arno
>>

> Thanks a bunch Arno. Unfortunately, I'm still a bit confused. Doesn't
> the fact that the restore command comes up with zero files mean that the
> job files have already been pruned

Yes, that's what this means.

(By the way - you could restore the complete job now, it's only
impossible to select files now.)

> or do you just mean to ensure the job
> isn't pruned?

That was included in my original proposal, but it doesn't apply to
your situation.

> I was confused earlier on the distinction between the job
> and the files, and I think I mispoke. I have the job still, but not the
> files. This does bring up an interesting question. From what you said
> earlier I got the idea that if you have the job info, and know the
> volumes you need, you could get the job files back without too much
> trouble using bscan.

No need to use bscan, you can restore the whole job.

> Well, I guess I'm about to find out. Long term
> though, if my interpretation of the situation is correct, I think what I
> would like to be able to do is have at least the job info around as long
> as the corresponding volumes are around.

No problem, just set your retention times accordingly, i.e. the jobs
need a retention time longer than the volumes. Thus, the jobs will
only be purged from the catalog when the volumes expire and are pruned.

> I assume that it is not pruning
> files that causes the database to grow out of control,

That's usually a correct assumption :-) In all the installations I
know, the table holding the files is by far the biggest one, and I
have problems imagining a setup where this would be different.

> and that the job
> info (were talking saving one job a month, and after 6 months, 4 jobs a
> year) shouldn't be too bad. I have plenty of space. So, if this is
> correct, is there a way to tell bacula to hold on to job directives as
> long as the corresponding volumes are around?

See above - retention times are the key here.

> Btw, is there a reason
> that the volume names aren't included in the job info?

I don't know what info you refer to, but you can use a query to find
the volumes for a specified job.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann