Try the current version of mtx-changer from SVN.  I fixed a bug a few
weeks ago that was preventing the drive ready detection from working
properly (hence, no wait loop after issuing a tape load command).  A
sleep statement in the right place would have cured the symptom but
not the root cause.

If the current version in SVN doesn't fix the problem, please let me know.

--PLB