Hello all,

I am trying to ensure I have a strict understanding of the Bacula User's
Guide with respect to how Differential and Incremental Backups work, but I
would like to take an example to see if I have worked through my logic
correctly ...

Lets say I have this FileSet definition which is fixed throughout the
example herein:

# List of files to be backed up
> FileSet {
>   Name = "Full Set"
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       signature = MD5
>     }
>     File = /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3
>   }
>   Exclude {
>     File = /proc
>     File = /tmp
>     File = /.journal
>     File = /.fsck
>   }
> }

Assuming this FileSet definition does not change. I then:

1. Make the first Full backup of the Included File (which is a directory
named /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3)

2. After a period of time, let's say that one file underneath the the
directory /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3 is modified, such as:

/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/A

3. After the modification, I ask Bacula to make an Incremental backup to a
Volume labeled INC1 which only contains this single change:

/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/A

4. After the Incremental backup, another file is in the Included directory
is changed:

/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/B

5. After this change, I perform a Differential backup. The Volume created by
the Differential backup is labeled DIFF1 and contains only but both ("merge"
so-to-speak) these files:

/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/A
/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/B

6. Ok, after the DIFF1 Volume was created, two files are changed (one of
which was previously changed and resides in the DIFF1 Volume) and a new file
is added:

/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/A (2)
/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/C
/Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/ADDEDFILE

7. After the files modified and added in step 6 above, I perform a second
Incremental backup to a different Volume named INC2. It is my understanding
from the Bacula User's Guide that this INC2 will only contain what has
changed since the time of the previous Differential, which will then be:

The most recent version (second modification which I denote with "(2)" ) of:

    /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/A (2)

and the new modification to:

   /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/C

and the file that was added:

   /Users/admini/bacula-2.2.3/ADDEDFILE

Is my analysis using the above examples and understanding of how Bacula
works correct? I wasn't totally clear on what happens if files are added to
an Included File where the Included File is itself a directory. It is clear
however that any files which are deleted remain in the Catalog until the
next Full backup volume is created.

Thank you very much!

-H