Hi,

18.09.2007 13:03,, Hydro Meteor wrote::

> On 9/17/07, *Arno Lehmann* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     18.09.2007 10:36,, Eric Böse-Wolf wrote::
>      > "Hydro Meteor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> writes:
>      >
>      >> Martin,
>      >>
>      >> Thank you for checking my logic. I wonder if it would be
>     worthwhile to the
>      >> Bacula community to have some simple diagrams that accompany the
>     User's Guide,
>      >> such a diagram that shows a timeline and how Bacula Jobs operate
>     along such a
>      >> timeline? I'd be pleased contribute some graphics to the
>     documentation if
>      >> that's something other people would also be interested in.
>
>     Personally, I don't see the need for this - the underlying logic is
>     quite clear to me - but of course it might help you and others.
>

> Probably with time if any person spends enough time with Bacula, they
> will be able to navigate Bacula configuration files with much ease as
> they have the logic all mapped out in their heads.

;-)

> The Tutorial for
> newcomers is really quite nice and it does get someone up and running
> and testing Bacula rather swiftly but I think that sometimes diagrams
> that map out abstractions and visualize logic constructs (such as
> visualizing multiple Backup Level types with a few scenarios for Full,
> Differential, Incremental, etc.) might be useful.

As I stated: I agree, but personally, I do not usually need this.
Which, as it is, makes it difficult for me to decide how such an
overview should be structured for the best result.

> Last year I attended
> one of Dr. Edward Tufte's < http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/ > seminars
> and one of the things Tufte said in his lecture which I thought was very
> insightful was that different people have different cognitive styles.

That is definitely true, ...

> In
> my case I probably have a cognitive style preference for having some
> abstractions laid out visually. This isn't an advertisement for Dr.
> Tufte's books but some of his books are really quite good such as
> Beautiful Evidence, which I recommend.
>
> As I continue to work out  a Bacula operational system on my Xserve, I
> will create a few timeline graphic flow charts and once I have them
> refined I'd be pleased to contribute them to the Bacula Wiki and/or
> User's Guide.

... which is one of the reasons why I like to see people contributing
to the documentation :-)

>      > I would really appreciated it.
>      >
>      > I noticed: If I have two Jobs, both on the same Client with the same
>      > FileSet but with different schedules, Bacula will make two Full
>     Backups
>      > as the individual job has never had a Full Backup before, even if the
>      > other job did a Full backup a few days ago. Maybe thats
>     something, that
>      > could be mentioned, too.
>
>     That's just what a job is for - a job is an independent entity and
>     never refers to data from other jobs. I don't know if the manual is
>     very clear on this, but again, I never had problems understanding
>     this. But you are right - from time to time, people don't understand
>     this, set up one job for full, one for differential, and one for
>     incremental backups and wonder why it does not work as expected.
>
>     Some introduction to the concepts of jobs in relation to client,
>     fileset and schedule definition would probably be a good addition to
>     the manual.
>
>     The basic idea would be to point out that filesets, schedules and even
>     client definitions can be used in many jobs, but that each job is
>     independent from any other jobs and thus holds its own, complete set
>     of backed up data, even though that data can overlap with the data
>     from other jobs.
>
>     Now someone needs to write that up in a two-page text that clearly
>     describes this to novice users :-)
>

> This conceptualization might indeed be ripe for a combined text and
> visual explanation. I use tools like Visio which can export graphics in
> open formats such as SVG and PDF.

Great, I and many others look forward to what you come up with!

Don't hesitate to present your work-in-progress here, I'm sure any
input from others can only help you refining such an overview. As time
permits, I'll help you as much as possible.

Arno

> Cheers!
>

>     Arno
>
>     --