> Initially I set the Volume Retention to 14 days, but I reduced it to 12
> days, just to be safe that the tape will definitely get recycled. Thing is,
> sometimes there are issues that cause the backup not running on time.
> Backup jobs got pending, and they ran at a later date. Sometimes the jobs
> got pending for a bit too long and this causes the number of days between
> the last written date and the incoming backup date to be less than 12 days.
> When this happens, the incoming backup job will not be able to run because
> the volume status is 'Used', and it is waiting for me to create a new label.

Just redeuce the volume retention in one day? E. g.: 11 days?

> I have set Volume Use Duration to 2 days, hoping that after 2 days, it
> will be marked as Used, and if in any way that the backup needs to be
> performed in less than 12 days, it will be automatically purged.

If the first backup runs on time, Recycle and AutoPrune = yes, this is the
expected behavior.
Observe that Bacula doesn't update its Catalog each second. The volume may
appear used after the retention period is over, but if you submit a job
that needs writing space if may recycle the volumes.

> Unfortunately, this is not happening. The volume status is used, and I
> will have to create a new label in order to get the backup job to run (I
> prefer just to manually purge it). So what should I do to tell bacula to
> run the backup job, even when it hasn't exceed the retention period?

If you want to just ignore the retention you can use the Purge Oldest
Volume = yes option on pool. I don't like it, since It may lead you to a
volume usages loop.

> Thanks.

Heitor Medrado de Faria | Need Bacula training? 10% discount coupon code at
Udemy: bacula-users
<https://www.udemy.com/bacula-backup-software/?couponCode=bacula-users>
+55 61 2021-8260
+55 61 8268-4220