On 10/18/2016 3:42 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:37:12PM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>> Hello guys:
>>
>> Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
>> information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?
>>
> I wrote a script a while ago that runs as a RunAfterJob element which
> encrypts (gpg) and copies a full backup of a client (or its disk
> volume rather) to an S3 bucket using the aws shell client.
>
> It's still very rudimentary but it does the job nicely when it comes
> to keeping a full backup safe (and secure) from a local disaster.
>
> I seem to recall "cloud support" (whatever that may mean in today's
> buzzword bingo) was announced for Bacula 8.

I tend to think that will be targeting local cloud storage, for example
ownCloud, in enterprise environments. I'm not sure something like S3 is
very useful for direct backup storage over the Internet. A 1 TB backup
over a 100 Mbps connection would take a minimum of 22+ hours, assuming
maximum throughput and that S3 could actually sustain 12.5 MB/s.

For S3, copying via a script seems the best way to go.