Hi Markus,

I know my suggestion isn't concerning autoloaders, but it's a safe and working alternative to tapes (and all the hassles).

I setup a dedicated backup station with 13TB of RAID10 storage. It's placed in a different location from the servers, and connected to the network backbone with a 10Gbit/s link. It's running CentOS 7.5, and utilizing the mhvtl virtual tape library. It's working very smoothly, and reliably. The cost of building the rig, running, and administration is quite on the plus side compared to tapes (been there, done that).

Just my five cents.

Best regards,

Peter