On 14.11.2018 8:37, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

wt., 13 lis 2018 o 18:20 Dmitri Maziuk via Bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net>> napisał(a):

    The other issue is RAID-10 and mhvtl: if you do disk backup, why
    go through the extra layer of mhvtl?

Peter did not provide the answer to this question (or I miss something), but the only reasonable response would be when mhvtl export its resources as an iSCSI/FC tape autochanger and local Storage Daemon uses it as a "real" tape library. So in this case the local SD store data to remote mhvtl, so the data are protected on remote site. Any other solution (especially SD deployed on remote site saving data to local mhvtl) is a simple waste of resources (especially storage as Bacula never truncate unused tape volumes but can truncate unused file volumes) as you pointed out above.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
rados...@korzeniewski.net <mailto:rados...@korzeniewski.net>

Hi Radosław,

Just laziness. I had a working bacula configuration that served me well for many years. No reason to change a working setup.

Best regards,

Peter