On 11/20/2018 03:49 PM, George Anchev via Bacula-users wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:16:52 -0600 Dimitri Maziuk via
> Bacula-users wrote:
>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/routine-vacuuming.html
>
> Good info. Thanks.
>
>> WAL: don't worry about it unless you want to archive
>> them or replicate your database.
>
> But the pg_wal directory is way too big and I have no
> idea how to decrease it (without damaging anything).
> Hence the whole question: how to manage that? Is there
> a way to (auto)vacuum this too?

I've 320MB on a server that replicates a database of a few million rows,
and ~100MB on our bacula server w/ a year's worth of backups. What do
you call "too big"?

There is wal_keep_segments:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/runtime-config-replication.html
but if replication is not on, it's normally only a handful of 16MB files
in there, like 6 or so.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin