On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 21:59:41 +0200
George via Bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 11:39:37 -0600 Dmitri Maziuk via
> Bacula-users wrote:
>
> > So set
> >   max_wal_senders = 0
> > as well. Now looking at the fine manual I see they
> > changed the default from 9.x, it used to be 0.

> Could you please explain why this is what I should do?

You can replicate your database to other postgres servers. It is done by
sending WALs. If you are not doing that, you don't need WAL senders.

Replication can create a backlog of WAL files. Those files if what you're
trying to get rid of.

FWIW I left my few postgres-10 instances at the defaults, except for one that
is actually replicated, they all seem to be honor the max_val_size, and the
ones that are mostly idle have only 3-4 16MB files in pg_wal. So I don't know
why yours is using too much space in pg_wal: it could grow over max_val_size
when you run a lot of transactions, but then it should come down gradually.
Checkpoint, specifically, should trigger that.
--
Dmitri Maziuk <dmaz...@bmrb.wisc.edu>