I've been wondering the same thing, especially since there seems to be no
official way to migrate an SQLite database to PostgreSQL or MariaDB. I'm
actually not opposed to doing using one of those (I feel like a "real"
RDBMS might offer better performance and stability in my case -- my
installation has grown to about 60 clients) but everyone who's done it
seems to have rolled their own script to do the conversion. Descriptions of
the process in the mailing list archives are pretty vague, and I'm not
confident I understand the Bacula schema well enough to pull it off safely.

I'm hoping if they decide to pull the plug on SQLite completely they'll
provide some kind of migration path for those of us who made the
(apparently bad) decision to choose it early on, when it was supported.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:51 AM Oliver Lehmann <lehm...@ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just migrated my Bacula installation from 7 to 9.
> During executing the DB schema update Tool, I noticed, that SQLite got
> deprecated.
>
> I wonder why? :(
>
> I didn't wanted to install, maintain a full RDBMS which eats up
> ressources and might contain security issues just to get my backups
> going. I seriously do not care about backup performance. It is a home
> installation and a full backup only contains around 1 TB of data from
> 4 systems (some of them virtual).
>
> Does this now mean I have to get MySQL (what is with MariaDB?) or
> PGSQL installed just for keeping Bacula working in 10 or whatever
> version SQLite support will be completly removed?
>
> How sad.... :(
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Department of Mathematics
University of California, Santa Barbara