Hi Radosław,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019, at 11:40, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> What "resources" are you referring to? My current phone has 64bit OS and 4GB
> of RAM (top models has 8G). Having a real bare metal server with hundreds GB
> of ram is not a big deal. Storage space is extremely cheap too. Unless you
> run your Bacula on wrist watch or 30Y hardware you do not need to worry about
> any RDBMS for Bacula catalog.

That's the situation today. Of course nobody in his or her right mind would use
SQLite for a new Bacula installation.

But this thread was originally about an existing installation. Ten years ago
(just as an example, when I did one Bacula installation I am still running)
there were no phones with 4 GB of RAM. You were lucky if you had that much
memory in your server. Back then, SQLite was even the default backend offered
by Bacula during installation. So it was quite reasonable to use it in a small
environment. (Let's say less than 10 servers.)

> How Great! We removed this legacy in the end! Let's celebrate! :)
>
> You see it as a loss, OK. I see it as a great step forward.

It would be if there was a migration path for all those faithful Bacula users
who've been using and promoting the product for many years and who have been
misled into installing it with the SQLite backend initially. As it stands, they
find themselves in a dead end now. Can't you understand that they are not in
the mood to celebrate?

Regards,
Tilman

--