On Tuesday 2019-04-16 11:27:54 Josh Fisher wrote:
> On 4/16/2019 10:45 AM, Dmitri Maziuk via Bacula-users wrote:
> > I would put everything out of drbd volume because quite frankly I
> > don't
> > see the point. I don't think you can fail over in a middle of a
> > backup,
> > and without that, why not just put OS on NFS? -- or ZFS and send
> > incremental snapshot as part of your manual failover. Using drbd for
> > backup storage is just a waste of disk.
>
> Running jobs will fail, but the automated "Reschedule On Error" feature
> allows restarting them after the fail-over. Also, fail-over doesn't
> affect scheduled jobs that haven't started yet at the time of fail-over.
> Putting the OS on DRBD and running in a VM (or container) allows
> continuation of backup services without operator intervention. What is
> wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that if one needs it and can afford it.

> I agree that putting volume files on DRBD is wasteful, since running
> jobs will always fail at fail-over, but putting just the OS on DRBD
> doesn't use much disk space, and it certainly isn't a waste when it
> reduces or eliminates operator intervention.

When used properly DRBD can ensure redundancy.

Often people want to have secondary backup and archives.

One can copy backup jobs or volumes to a remote site and archive
them at some point (my choice) but one can also chose to sync the
blocks of the underlying block device to a remote location which
could serve the purpose if the goal is to protect yourself from
hardware error on the primary site.

Regards!

--
Josip Deanovic