On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 6:33 AM Kern Sibbald <k...@sibbald.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I concur with David.  When these jobs are scheduled, Bacula will attempt
> to acauire the needed Storage resources.  When the resources are busy the
> job waits, and after a certain time, Bacula will inform you that the
> resources are not available.
>
> These messages generally occur when you over commit the SD resources.  If
> you are using disk, increasing the maximum simultaneous jobs in the Device
> resource and restarting the SD will generally solve the problem, but you
> might also have to assign more Storage devices depending on what you are
> doing.

I think this is a somewhat unfortunate design decision, to be honest. I
back up a fairly large number of workstations, and on any given night a
certain number of them will be off or otherwise unavailable. I have these
jobs set to reschedule on failure so that they run when the workstation
eventually gets switched on.

The problem is, with the behavior you mention, I can't accurately control
how many simultaneous *running* jobs are using storage. If I set the max to
the number of jobs that I actually want to be able to use storage
simultaneously, I end up with some jobs that could otherwise run waiting
for resources because those resources are committed to a job that's
retrying a workstation that may or may not appear. If I compensate by
setting the max higher, I risk overcommitting my storage bandwidth on
nights when all the workstations *are* available.

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Department of Mathematics