Hello,

wt., 17 maj 2022 o 23:45 Jose Alberto <j.se...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> They requested a backup (datapump) of 1.5 TB but from Dec 15, 2021. The
> Job for fileretention had already expired.
>
> The volume was as FULL and with 25 TB of data.
>
> 1) I tried first with bextrack and it's too slow. 6 hours without any file.

With a bootstrap file you should be able to restore all what you need very
fast.
How did you execute bextract, what parameters?

> 2) try using bconsole restore Regexp. I end up with status OK after 10
> hours, but with 0 files recovered.
>
> 3) Well, I filled myself with patience and went to search "bscan". Which
> lasted 40 hours to complete the recreation of the catalog. And I managed to
> restore the requested 1.5 TB file in just 4 hours.
>
> After this desperate experience but with the expected results. The
> following questions arise.
>
> 1) Is there a way to make the bscan run faster? I had always worked with
> lto6. But lto7 is already different, it's 25TB of data with a FULL tape, I
> assume that the search time increases.

With proper bootstrap files you will not need to use bscan for this.

> 2) Is there any other way to create the Files in the catalog but only
> indicating the Jobid?

Well, what you did is a full metadata scan of your archive which populated
the catalog database and during restore the director created a bootstrap
file for you and did restore using this file. So if you will have a proper
bootstrap file from start then all data scanning won't be required.

> Just imagine a BSCAN in lto8 or 9
>
> 3) What can be the best path for these scenarios?

Archive all your bootstrap files in any case you will need to restore some
data from your tapes.

> Due to this experience we increased the times in fileretention and
> jobretention in the most critical servers.

+1

Now, when database storage is huge and very fast, there is no real world
reason to lower file and job retention below volume retention.
And always archive all generated bootstrap files. They will save a lot of
your time.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski