On 8/2/22 13:16, Justin Case wrote:
I run the mailserver put its basically a tightly baked postfix dovecot under
Synology DSM UI. So I won’t manually change config files. But “Ignore
authorization for LAN connections” sounds reasonable, I have activated that
now. Lets see if that helps.

(BTW, bacula-dir and mail server are on different machines. its a home lab,
yes, but its vast ;)

This does, however, not solve the problem that the hostname is not an FQDN and
that it cannot be overridden with bsmtp. So I am still 100% away from a working
solution :(

I always install a postfix MTA on my local Bacula Director, listening on 127.0.0.1, and then from there, I can set all the outbound SMTP relay(s) and any auth that is required.

Typically, the local postfix is just there on the local Director because bsmtp is a simple, one-shot deal. If it cannot connect to the host to deliver the message for any reason, that email is gone.

With a local postfix MTA, bsmtp sends the messages to thge local postfix, the messages are locally queued and always delivered. Your case takes this a couple steps further (configuring auth etc) than I usually ever need to go with postfix and Bacula, but it is still what I would recommend trying. :)

Best regards,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski