On 2022-08-02 3:46 PM, Justin Case wrote:
The container uses the container ID as hostname. nothing I can do about it with
DNS.
I will retire the Synology mail server at somepoint but that is months in the
future.

I disabled authentication for local networks, but still:
504 5.5.2 <3422f1072002>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Yeah, well, as Phil said elsethread, your Synology has a "point-and-drool web management interface ... full of You Can't Do That." You probably could configure docker to use your home lab IP range -- or even run the container with "host networking" and then its IP should be in Synology's "LAN", but... evidently Synology does *not* make a usable mailserver and that's your problem.

Dima