The container uses the container ID as hostname. nothing I can do about it with
DNS.
I will retire the Synology mail server at somepoint but that is months in the
future.

I disabled authentication for local networks, but still:
504 5.5.2 <3422f1072002>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname